Skip to main content

Teer

Teer, a local sport in Shillong, is now a very addictive legalized form of betting. “Teer” meaning “Arrow”, is an everyday event  where several groups of archers shoot at a specified target. Counters spread across Shillong ensure that market is adequately addressed. Best part is that anyone can bet.
A cab from Police Bazaar took me to Polo. It wasn’t hard finding the location as the people I asked for directions were headed there. So I joined them. We entered a somewhat nondescript compound with high walls on one side and small betting counters surrounding it. A cylindrical target made of bamboo and straw had been placed in front of the wall. Archers in groups, with their bows and arrows made of bamboo, were ready under an arched shooting gallery. Suddenly, on a signal, arrows began to whiz through the air.
It was 4.30PM in the afternoon, the light was low and it was drizzling…

The Target

The Archers

The Archers

Within minutes the shooting was over and the officials proceeded towards the target .....
The ones that missed.

They then retrieved all the arrows that hit the target for counting....


The counting, in multiples of ten, were arranged in an  square iron grid....


Officials counting the arrows

Once the counting was done, an official announced ,"Six-Nine-One", and threw an arrow to the ground. A few happy faces made their way to the counters to claim their bets.

Over a cup of steaming tea, I interacted with one of the archers. I was happy to know that there was another round at 5.30PM. All this while I had no idea how the game is played. The friendly archer enlightened me.
There are two rounds every day, one begining at 4.30PM and the other at 5.30PM. Five to Six groups of archers shoot at the target. The arrows that hit the target  is counted and the last two number is the winning number. Todays first round score being 691, and thus 91 is the winning number. For one rupee you get eighty.

Tea Break

An archer smoking his pipe during the break.

An archer arranging his arrows for the second round.

People placing their bets on the counters


Second round about to start.

The second round of shooting began punctually at 5.30PM. Arrows in hundreds stuck the target.

A Sight Robin Hood would have been proud of.



An Official Inspecting the Hit
The second round score was 469. So the winning number =69
The Score for the day.

Some won and some lost. I wasnt lucky enough either...


Interesting, I met a person who is a regular. I casually asked him how much he spends on the game everyday. With a big smile he replied, "5 bucks a day. If I win, well and good. But if I loose I walk home". The taxi fare from the archery ground to his home is 5 bucks.

Comments

  1. interesting event ONLY for those who have betted. I am one of them. yesterday, i paid 50 bucks for number ending 3, i got back 400 bucks. Nice. rite??

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes an interesting read..You should try and get it published in eclectic or some other magazine..Though, u'll have to add more words to it... gud one :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. i came 2 know about this local sport for the first time.. very interesting and informative...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today target no......... pls sir

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for this helpful post for me and all user's of shillong teer formula
    . can you tell me where i will check my latest shillong teer result chart today.

    thanks.shillong teer common no

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like your blog is a bit incomplete without Shillong Teer Target Formula , Make sure to post articles related to shillong teer formula too.

    Do not forget to check out the homepage too Shillong Teer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Mickey Rai for the interesting links. My intent was to write about my experience there from a traveller's point of view. There is already a lot of historical content on Teer and I didnt want to replicate that.

      Delete
  7. Hi, J Dutta , Before reading this article I have searched many sites to know more about teer game but none of them helped me like your article did. Very well explanation I must say. Expecting more about Shillong Teer and results from you in future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shillong Teer Counter ( Hitt Number )

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the best guide available till date about Shillong Teer . You have such an excellent skill of expressing things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, such a wonderful post of Teer game. This is the article that I'm looking for so long. Moreover, if you want to know more about the facts of different kinds of teer, then visit the links below.
    How to check the night teer common number today
    Lists of shillong night teer old results
    The formula to win the Shillong teer [Ultimate Formula]

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Madan Kamdev Temple, Baihata Chariali, Kamrup

The ruins of Madan Kamdev Temple , was a mystery to me when I first visited the site in 2003. In my recent revisit to the site I couldn’t help but marvel at the amazing sculptures that assert eternal love, joy and happiness. Archaeologists have dated the ruins to the 10 th -12 th Century A.D( Reign of the Pala Dynasty in Kamrupa). The ruins are supposedly the remains of around 20 temples dedicated to Lord Shiva. The main temple housed a sculpture of Lord Shiva and his consort Uma which the locals call “Madan Kamdev”. As I climbed the stairs and reached the main temple, I was happy to see some roofing done. Atleast a start….. The main temple As per a legend, it was here that Lord Shiva( God of Destruction) incinerated Kamdev( God of Love) with his third eye. Kamdev was again reborn to be united with his consort Rati. The temple, situated in the Devangiri hillock, is known for its striking resemblance to the famous 10th-11th century Khajuraho temples in central Madhya Pr

Hajo

Hajo, a place just 32 kms from my house in Guwahati, and I knew so little about the place and the people. So off I rode to Hajo. It took me 2hrs to reach the main town. Not that the road condition was bad, but the view all along the way was just fantastic. The river Brahmaputra and the enveloping hills on both the sides ensured that I made many pit stops in admiration. With early morning rains bringing down the mercury level, it was a great day for biking. My 1 st climb was the Garurachal Hills to see the shrine people call Poa Mecca, a place of pilgrimage for the Muslim community. On top of the hill is a mosque and the tomb of Gyasuddin Aulia. It is said that Gyasuddin Aulia , an Iranian prince, made the first attempt to impregnate Islam in this part of the country(supposedly 12AD). Legend has it that the preacher had bought a lump of earth from Mecca and enshrined the same at the spot where the mosque was built at a later period.   The present preacher there was kind enough to edu